- 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1/2 cup prechopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan; saute 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown. Remove 2 slices bacon. Drain on paper towels. Add onion and next 3 ingredients (through minced garlic) to pan, and saute for 2 minutes. Add corn, and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook for 4 minutes.
Place 2 cups of corn mixture in a blender. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in the blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed corn mixture to pan. Stir in shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Stir in half-and-half, pepper, and salt. Crumble reserved bacon over soup.